Get baked with your beans!
Tip: Bacon adds a nice smokey essence to this dish and will not overpower the sweetness of those great vegetables you picked out at the market.
- – 8 slices bacon, halved
- – 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- – ½ medium green pepper, cut into small dice
- – 3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- – ¾ Cup barbecue sauce
- – ½ Cup brown sugar
- – ¼ Cup distilled or cider vinegar
- – 2 tsp dry mustard or 2 Tbl Dijon
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Fry bacon in large, deep saute pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about ¼ cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients). Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.